Thursday, April 8, 2010


The Kearney Incident

On a misty November 5, 1957, I finished my work
about 2:30 p.m. It had been a busy day of
inspecting fields of milo and corn a few miles
from Kearney, Nebraska, which is about thirty
miles from Kenesaw, my birthplace.
(incidentally, Kearney is the exact center of
the United States, being just 1,733 miles from
both San Francisco and Boston.)

I was driving near an old sand bed on the Platte River, and
close by was an abandoned farm house. It seemed
like a good place to turn my car around but, as
I started to do so, there was a brilliant flash
of light a short distance ahead. I drove on to
investigate what I thought might be someone
blasting trees, although I had heard no noise.
Within a hundred feet of the river bank my car
engine suddenly stopped. I turned the ignition
off and on several times, thinking that perhaps
the battery had gone dead or that maybe the
rough road had jiggled some wiring loose.

As I started to get out of the car to check the
engine, I noticed something ahead that appeared
to be a large, half-inflated balloon. When I
walked toward it, skirting a clump of willow
trees and tall grass, it was obvious that it
was not a balloon, but a great, silvery craft
which seemed to be made of some kind of metal,
such as polished steel or aluminum. It was
resting on what I later found out to be four
hydraulic rams serving as landing gear, but it
looked like some sort of balloon more than
anything else.

As I came within about thirty feet of it a
thin stream of light, about as big around as a
pencil, shot out from it and hit me across the
chest. It seemed as if I were suddenly
paralyzed; I could not move. Maybe I was only
scared stiff but, before I could analyze my
feelings, a door in the ship slid open and two
men came out of it toward me. They asked if I
were armed and, although I said no, they
frisked me anyway, but they took nothing from

After regaining some of my composure and
discovering that I could move again, I asked
them what they were doing here, what kind of
craft they had there, and where they were from.
One of the men did the talking. He was
evidently the leader and I shall refer to him
hereafter as Mr. X. He spoke English with a
German accent and said that they couldn't
answer those particular questions at that time.
However, when I asked to come closer in order
to see the ship, Mr. X invited me aboard since,
he said, they couldn't leave for a few minutes
anyway. He said that I could look around inside
but not to touch anything.

Inside The Ship

Besides the leader, there were three men and
two women in the ship. The women were sitting
behind a big desk on which there was a large
frame which enclosed what looked like a viewing

At the same end of the ship were four
columns of colored liquid red, green, blue and
orange. These tubes were approximately 4 and
one half feet high and 6 inches in diameter.
The ladies seemed to be watching the liquid
very closely as it moved slowly up and own,
like the pistons in an automobile.

The three men were working on an instrument panel that
filled one side of the room I saw one of them
clip off some short wires. The panel was
filled with clocks, dials, buttons and
switches. In the center was a large screen
which looked like our television screens, but
it was not working while I was there. The
walls of the ship were about a foot thick and
looked glassy. Oddly enough, I could see
through them ...the sky, the surrounding
scenery, even the weeds and brush beneath us
were visible! But, I remembered,looking at the
ship from the outside it seemed to be made of
solid piece of metal. There were no portholes
or windows. The only opening was the doorway.

All of these people had dark hair and what
looked like sun-tanned skin.The men were about
five-feet-eight inches tall and weighed about 170 pounds.
I guessed the ladies' weight at about 120
pounds, and they were about the same height as
the men. They wore light-colored blouses, dark
shirts and shoes with medium heels. Both the
men and womens clothing were similar to what
we find here on our streets. Any one of them
could have walked unnoticed among our people.

The instrument panel had no name or
identification which might have disclosed the
place of manufacture, but I did notice some
Arabic numerals and some Roman numerals on it.
However, there were no other figures or letters
on any kind on either the inside or the outside
of the ship.

Another thing that fascinated me was the way
the crewmen glided, instead of walking, across
the floor when they stepped back from the
instrument panels! It seemed as though they
were on a moving sidewalk, although I saw no
moving parts .... and when I tried it, it
didn't work! I wondered if they had something
special on their shoes.

When these people spoke among themselves they
used high German, which I happen to understand,
as I graduated from a school in which both
German and English were taught. I could speak
read and write German at the time, and I still
speak and understand it fairly well. But these
people all spoke to me in English with a German

Mr. X asked me if I knew anything about the
United States' satellite program. When I
replied that I did not, he said, "They're
planning to send up some satellites, but the
first two will never leave the ground. The
third will go up, but it won't send back

This prophecy has since proved true. The
results of those flight were printed in
newspapers all over the country.

After I had been inside the ship for about half
an hour, one of the men who had been working on
the panel said to another, " "Wir sind fertig,"
which means "We are finished." Mr. X said to
me, "You will have to leave now." I was
relieved to hear that because, frankly, I had
been a little bit concerned about ever getting
off that ship again!

To be continued

No comments: